The words of affirmation love language has become increasingly talked about in recent years. The five love languages have formed a key part of understanding how we give and receive love and words of affirmation — you guessed it — are all about demonstrating love through genuine, authentic communication.
But, what do words of affirmation mean, how do you use them, and what effect can this love language have on a relationship? We’ve covered all this, and more, below in our extensive guide to the words of affirmation love language!
What Are Love Languages?
Whether you’re in a committed, exclusive relationship or you’re trying to impress your crush, it’s useful to know how to show them you care. This is where the concept of love languages comes in. First developed by Dr. Gary Champan, love languages outline the general ways in which people express and experience love.
Not sure where to start? Here’s a quick recap of the five different love languages:
1. Words of affirmation: Using words and authentic, meaningful communication to encourage, support, express gratitude, and show love to your partner.
2. Quality time: Giving and receiving love through spending time together with your partner without any outside distractions.
3. Physical touch: Expressing and demonstrating love through physical contact such as hand-holding, giving a massage, hugging, and cuddling.
4. Acts of service: Using small acts of kindness to make your partner feel loved. Things can include things like helping them with their chores, cooking a meal, or planning a holiday.
5. Gifts: Expressing and receiving love through giving gifts that act as tokens of appreciation. This can be anything from small notes to larger, expensive gifts.
What Do Words of Affirmation Mean?
As you may have realized, the focus of this love language is words. Ask your partner how they feel when you give them compliments. If it makes their heart skip a beat, words of affirmation is likely their love language.
This means that congratulating your partner on an achievement, telling them that you appreciate them, and encouraging them when they feel down will make them feel loved. Showing empathy and taking time out to have meaningful conversations are all part of the words of affirmation love language. The bottom line here is that the words you use will have more of an impact than your actions.
How to Use Words of Affirmation: 3 Top Tips to Bear in Mind
Creativity and authenticity are key when it comes to using words of affirmation. If this is your partner’s love language, you’ll need to find the best ways to communicate your love for them, whether that’s printing out inspiring quotes or leaving romantic goodnight messages. Below, we’ve laid out some top tips on how to use words of affirmation.
1. Keep it authentic
Words of affirmation only work when they’re genuine. Try to make sure that whenever you’re communicating with them, it’s authentic and from the heart. If you’re saying things that aren’t really all that sincere, they’ll likely be able to spot this for what it is.
2. Show empathy
For those whose love language is words of affirmation, communication from their partner should be empathetic. They want you to show that you understand how they’re feeling and the effect that’s having on them.
Always make sure that you’re showing empathy when communicating with them. Be understanding of their situation and show your support through the words you use.
3. Get creative
When it comes to the words of affirmation love language, creativity is key. Sure, you can send them a simple text message to tell them you love them. But, communication is most effective and efficient if you mix things up now and then.
Try out new, interesting ways of using words of affirmation for her and him. For example, write them a love note and leave it next to their bed for them to find when they wake up in the morning. Or, mail them a romantic love letter that talks about all the unique details that you love about them.
Words of Affirmation Love Language Examples: 26 Ideas to Try
The words of affirmation love language doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, keeping it simple can make things even more effective. Words of affirmation for him and her can be as easy as saying “thank you” they help you out with something.
Need more inspiration? Below, we’ve put together a list of words of affirmation love language examples that you can try.
1. I appreciate you.
2. I admire your kindness and strength.
3. You look beautiful/handsome.
4. You’re incredible and I’m grateful that you’re part of my life.
5. You make me feel better when I’m having a bad day.
6. Your support means the world to me.
7. Thank you for…
8. I trust you because…
9. I have fun when I’m with you.
10. You make me laugh.
11. I appreciate that you…
12. I love how you understand me.
13. You inspire me.
14. It brings me joy when you…
15. I love coming home to you after a long day at work.
16. I can always rely on you.
17. I believe in you.
18. You’re my favorite person.
19. I’m proud of you.
20. You are so special to me.
21. I love that you help me with…
22. Thank you for always supporting me.
23. It was thoughtful of you to…
24. I feel safe when I’m with you.
25. Your smile brightens up my day.
26. Meeting you was the best day of my life.
How Can This Love Language Affect a Relationship?
If your partner’s love language is words of affirmation, regularly communicating your love and appreciation for them can have huge benefits for your relationship. It improves communication, helps to avoid misunderstandings, boosts both of your moods, and helps your partner to feel appreciated.
Using this love language can also deepen your connection and facilitate bonding. Words of affirmation make your partner feel important in your life. This in turn can help to foster a more meaningful connection and a stronger relationship.
Celebrate Your Partner With Loving Words of Affirmation
Meaningful words are the basis of any good relationship. The words of affirmation love language is all about giving and receiving love through meaningful communication.
If your partner resonates with this love language, showing your love and appreciation for them should come from the words you use. So, start using words of affirmation and ignite an extra dose of love and romance in your relationship!