Knowing how to flirt over text isn’t always straightforward. Will I come across as cheesy? Will the person I’m texting misinterpret what I mean? Trying to flirt with someone who can’t hear your tone or see your facial expressions can make things tricky. Despite this, there are a lot of easy solutions that can make flirting over text much more hassle-free.
Knowing how to flirt over text can be great for letting someone know that they’re on your mind. When you’re connecting with someone new it sparks conversation and, ideally, sets you on the path towards an easy first date. And, for those already in an established relationship, flirty texts can spice things up and recapture the romance!
But, where do you start when it comes to working out how to be flirty over text? Below, we’ve tackled this topic and outlined some examples of flirty texts for him and her that you can try!
How to Be Flirty Over Text: 6 Things to Bear in Mind
Knowing what to say in a flirty text is one thing. But, how exactly do you go about it? Creating a subtle flirty text is an art. It requires the sender to show confidence and intrigue while avoiding the pitfall of coming across too strongly.
This might sound a bit daunting, but knowing how to subtly flirt over text is easier than you might think. Below, we’ve put together a few key points to bear in mind before you start crafting your flirty texts.
1. Keep it concise
When it comes to knowing how to flirt over text, there’s one tip that we can’t emphasize enough: Keep it short and sweet. Think of it this way, if someone came up to you in a bar and talked continuously for 10 minutes straight as a way of trying to chat you up, would you be interested? Probably not.
The same goes for a flirty text. It should be concise, engaging, and attention-grabbing. The recipient should be able to send a similarly short and sweet response back, kickstarting the back and forth flirtiness.
2. Try to avoid coming on too strongly
Flirting over text always involves treading a fine line. Subtlety is key here so try not to get too carried away when crafting your message. That doesn’t mean you can’t be confident with what you say but try to avoid going overboard with it. The same goes for when you receive a flirty text. Looking out for those subtle signs of flirtation will help you to craft the perfect response.
3. Ask open, playful questions
When you’re working out how to be flirty over text, open, playful questions are a great place to start. Whether you’re coming up with some flirty questions to ask a girl or flirty questions to ask the guy you’re crushing on, they’ll help to engage the person you’re texting and show them that you have a genuine interest in them. Again, keep things simple here and make the question as engaging as possible to encourage a response.
4. Make it positive
Positive vibes are key when it comes to flirting over text. It should be upbeat, cheerful, and light-hearted. So, when creating your message, avoid talking about any heavy topics that might bring down the mood.
As well as positivity, compliments are the key component of a subtle, flirty text. Whether it’s compliments for a girlfriend or a boyfriend, think about the things that you most like about your partner. If you’re flirting with someone you’ve only just recently connected with, pick something that instantly attracted you to them and use this as the starting point for your message.
But, remember that compliments only work if they’re sincere. If you try to craft something that isn’t all that genuine, the person you’re texting will likely catch on pretty quick and the flirty mood will quickly disappear.
5. Play it cool
This one relates to our previous point about not coming on too strongly. A key part of knowing how to flirt over text is avoiding the temptation of sending multiple messages. It’s understandable, especially if you’re genuinely excited about texting the person. But, nothing kills the mood more than sending multiple answered messages in a row.
Try to make sure that you’re, roughly, sending the same amount of texts as your partner. You probably don’t want to be sending five texts to every one of theirs, for example. Also, try to avoid texting back as soon as you get a response. Play it cool and take your time to craft the perfect flirty response.
6. Consider their love language
This one might not be so relevant if you’re flirting with someone you’ve only recently connected with online. But, for those wondering how to flirt with a girlfriend over text, or a boyfriend, taking the different love languages into account can be a big help when trying to decide on the right approach.
If you haven’t already, figure out your partner’s love language before crafting your flirty text. If they resonate more with physical touch, for example, then a subtly seductive text might be the best way to go.
Flirty Texts for Him and Her: 67 Flirty Text Examples to Try
Now that we have the basis of how to flirt over text, you might be wondering what this actually looks like. In short, there’s no one-size-fits-all method when it comes to flirty texts. What the message looks like will depend on your strategy and approach.
To help get you started, we’ve put together 67 flirty text examples below and categorized them into eight different strategies. So, whether you’re trying to come up with some flirty texts for him or craft the perfect flirty texts for her, we’ve got you covered!
Flirty text strategy #1: Ask a cheeky question
Asking a cheeky question is a great way to kickstart any flirty text conversation. Below, we’ve picked out 11 of our favorite examples to get you started!
1. Want to hear a secret?
2. Why are you so cute?
3. Do you miss me? Type “Y” for yes.
4. In the mood to have some fun?
5. Do you like it when someone makes the first move?
6. Our first kiss is going to be epic, don’t you think?
7. What would you say if I asked you to come over?
8. Which emoji makes you think of me?
9. Have I told you that I want to kiss you today? Because I seriously want to kiss you.
10. I like you. What are you going to do about it?
11. Want to have this conversation in person?
Flirty text strategy #2: Be bold about how much you like them
When thinking about how to flirt with a guy over text, being bold about just how much you’re like them is often a great place to start. If the guy texts back in a similar manner, this can be one of the clearest signs that they’re into you. Below, we’ve put together some examples of how you can craft this approach into your flirty texts.
1. I’m not big on the whole “wait three days” thing, so I’m texting you now.
2. Seeing your name pop up on my phone screen makes me grin like an idiot.
3. I don’t have anything interesting to tell you, but I really wanted to talk to you.
4. You’re pretty freaking great!
5. Everything makes me think of you.
6. You’re pretty much my dream guy.
7. You never fail to give me butterflies.
8. The more time I spend with you, the more I want to KEEP spending time with you!
9. Even when I’m with you, I can’t seem to get close enough to you.
10. I’ve been dreaming of you even when I’m wide awake.
11. You’ve been on my mind a lot today. And it’s only 8:30 am.
12. I can’t sleep. I blame you.
13. You make my heart happy!
Flirty text strategy #3: Talk about the last time you were together
One of the best ways to invoke a flirty vibe over text is to talk about the time you’ve spent together. Remind them of how special the experience that you shared was and throw in some cheeky references to keep things fun and flirty!
1. Our last date was really fun. I can’t remember the last time I had that much fun.
2. It’s impossible to get any work done today because I can’t stop thinking about our night together.
3. You looked really cute last night.
4. I keep thinking about how good you looked the last time we were together.
5. I hope my roommate’s out tonight so we can have a night just as good as last night.
6. I was dreaming about our day yesterday all day at work.
Flirty text strategy #4: Mention the next time you’ll be together
A big part of knowing how to flirt over text is building anticipation. Talking about the next time that you and your partner will be together is a great way to create an engaging and memorable flirty text. Check out some of our examples below!
1. I wish you were here next to me right now.
2. What does your week look like? Any room for me?
3. We should probably go on another date soon.
4. You’ll love the outfit I’m going to wear tonight.
5. If you want to make a move, today would be the perfect time to go for it.
Flirty text strategy #5: Make use of emojis
When it comes to flirting over text, emojis can be a great way to make your intentions clear. And yes, there’s a lot more to it than just the eggplant and the peach! Check out our emoji-based flirty text examples below.
1. [burger emoji], [pizza emoji], or [taco emoji] tonight?
2. Surprise! I got you flowers: [bouquet emoji]
3. I’m getting off work early tonight…[eyeballs emoji]
4. [office building] arrow] [beers clinking]
5. I had a really great time last night. [see no evil monkey face emoji]
6. Me when I get a text from you: [heart eyes]
7. You’re [honey pot] with a side of [flame].
Flirty text strategy #6: Make plans
Oftentimes, the best flirty texts come from taking the lead. Making plans with your partner via a cheeky message is a great way to achieve this and build excitement between the two of you. Side note: This approach can work especially well if your partner’s love language is quality time!
1. Do you have any plans for this weekend? Because I don’t. Let’s make some.
2. This is me asking you out. Want to get coffee on Saturday?
3. Let’s have drinks after work tomorrow.
4. Any lunch plans today? Thought I could swing by and we could eat together!
5. I’m craving sushi. We should get some for dinner this week.
6. I’ve been wanting to see [insert movie name here]. Want to see it together?
7. Let’s go on an adventure together. Want to try a new hike this weekend?
Flirty text strategy #7: If you’re ready for it, get a little naughty
To really know how to be flirty over text, you’ll also need to consider getting a little bit PG-13. As long as you and your partner are on the same vibe, subtle and seductive messages for him or her are a great way to spice things up. Check out our list below to get inspired…
1. I’m not wearing any underwear right now. Just saying.
2. I can’t wait to be alone with you again.
3. If you send me a sexy selfie, I might send one back.
4. If you kiss my neck, I’ll do anything you say. Knowledge is power, so use it wisely.
5. Just wanted to let you know that I just got out of the shower.
6. I had a dream we were sexting. It was so good that I woke up and decided to turn it into a reality.
7. This text entitles you to one kiss on the body part of your choice. Choose wisely…
8. My thoughts of you are particularly R-rated today.
9. Just thinking about all the things we could do if we were back at my place right now.
10. I can’t wait to be by your side again. Or on top, if you prefer.
11. I am sooo hungry right now…thing is…I don’t want food.
Flirty text strategy #8: Speak your mind
If you’re struggling to figure out how to flirt over text, a great way to get started is to say what’s on your mind. Being honest and transparent can be romantic — and seriously sexy! So if you’re finding the idea of flirting over text a bit tricky, check out these seven examples below to help kick things off.
1. This song I was just listening to really reminds me of you.
2. I was talking about you the other day.
3. I’m using my last 2% of battery to text you that I’m thinking about you.
4. You look so good right now. I can’t actually see you, but I assume you look good because you always do.
5. Hey! Stop thinking about me so much!
6. I had a lovely dream about you last night.
7. Everything about you makes me smile.
Flirting Over Text: Practice Makes Perfect!
When it comes to knowing how to flirt over text, practice is everything. Use this guide as your starting point and try out our flirty text examples word for word or draw inspiration from them for your own saucy witticisms!
Whether you’re in an exclusive relationship or you’ve only been chatting for a few weeks, experiment with a few different approaches to see which sparks the best vibe between the two of you. Relax, have fun with it, and get ready to take your flirty texting game to the next level!